What new technologies are being tested on DS1?
The objective of the New Millennium Program is to test new technologies so
that future science missions can use them. Some of the new technologies in use
on DS1 are:
- Solar Electric Propulsion system -- This uses electricity and atoms
to push the spacecraft through space.
- Solar Concentrator Arrays -- These help the solar panels to work
- Autonomous Navigation -- This allows DS1 to correct its course as
it flies without needing help from ground control.
- Miniature Integrated Camera and Imaging Spectrometer (MICAS) -- This
combines several kinds of picture taking devices into one low mass system.
- Integrated Ion and Electron Spectrometer --This is a scientific instrument,
that measures energy given off by ions and electrons. It is called PEPE,
which stands for the Plasma Experiment for Planetary Exploration. It will
help monitor possible side effects of using the ion propulsion engine.
- Small Deep Space Transponder -- This combines many separate functions
of spacecraft telecommunications systems into one unit, saving space and making
DS1 have less mass.
- Ka-Band Solid State Amplifier -- This makes the high frequency waves
transmitted by the small deep space transponder more "hearable"
- Autonomous Remote Agent -- This is an experimental "brain"
that allows DS1 to plan and carry out actions on its own.
- Beacon Monitor Operations -- This sends one of four signals about
spacecraft health constantly back to Earth. These signals can be received
by small receivers, so DSN time doesn't need to be used to get health information.
A "code red" signal denotes an emergency. At that point, people
on Earth can use more powerful receivers to "tune in" and hear about
- Low power electronics --Low power electronics free up electricity,
making longer missions with less power needs possible.
- Power Activation and Switching Module -- This senses currents and
switches power flows.
- Multifunctional structure. -- This is a new kind of spacecraft skeleton.
It allows several important systems to be housed in the same place, cutting
down on space needed and weight (mass) of the spacecraft. It also does some
of the active control work like thermal control and electrical processing
as well as holding the spacecraft together. It does multiple functions like
our skeletons do. Our skeletons hold our bodies together as well as making
new blood cells for us.
What does DS1 look like?
What is autonomy technology?
How does DS1's communications
What is AutoNav?
How do solar concentrators
How do solar panels supply energy
What is the difference
between an ion engine and a conventional one?
How does solar electric propulsion
(ion propulsion) work?
What is a remote agent?
where on DS1?
will we know if the new technologies work?
is the power activation and switching module?
develop low power electronics?
is NASA overseeing the DS1 mission?
is mass important?
is NASA testing new technologies on DS1?
new communications features are used by DS1?
is the small deep space transponder?
What is the Ka-band?
are the new low power electronics on DS1?